The Raw Vegan: Part CXVIII, Jiggedy Jig

The plane hopscotched across the country and back to Tennessee. It was a long flight in one of the larger passenger jets and it wasn’t even close to being filled to capacity. I sprawled in a seat with plenty of room on either side. Finally able to completely relax, I was aware of just how tired I was. I still couldn’t sleep. I’ve never been able to sleep on a plane. There’s too much to see. I did wish I could nod off. It was going to be a long drive home from the airport and I wanted to be at my best. The pilot guided the plane in for a landing. After what seemed an eternity, the flight attendants herded the other passengers and me off the plane. In spite of my exhaustion, I dragged myself to baggage claims.

Since my car was parked on the back forty, I had to take the shuttle to get to it. The driver patiently waited for me to heave my giant suitcase up the steps and wheel it back to a seat. There was no option of my staying a night and going back the next day. My bank account was woefully short. I had to steel myself to driving whether I wanted to or not. I watched as we went by row after row of cars and, by and by, I spied my little Honda. The shuttle stopped and I went bumping down the steps with my foot locker on wheels. It was up to me to muscle it into the trunk. By the time I got that accomplished, I would have given almost anything to check into a motel.

I gathered my courage, strapped myself into my seat and went to pay for the parking. I did, fortunately, have enough for that. Steering the car onto the Interstate, I headed home.

Cruise control set, I tooled down the highway. At least the car wasn’t one that took a lot of effort to drive. If it had been, I would have had to pitch camp beside the road. It seemed it took a lot longer than it actually did to get from the airport home. There was one stop at the grocery store for milk, bread and eggs plus a few other things. I was set.

We’d had a dry summer so far. I pulled up to the house to unload. Twinkle met me at the front door and let me know just how aggravated she was for being left all alone for so long. Wherever I went, she was right there, meowing her disapproval.

By that time, I was beyond exhaustion. I needed rest. I cut up a banana in the bottom of a bowl, poured cereal in and finished it off with milk. That would do me until the next day when I could have a proper meal. I was so tired, I didn’t even brush my teeth. I collapsed into bed.

Next morning, I woke somewhat refreshed but I’d been burning the candle at both ends for so long it would take several days for me to get back to normal, whatever that was. I’d have to remember to get my TSH checked when I got back to work because my brother-in-law’s words kept going through my head—“She’s puffy and sluggish.”

I had allowed myself a couple of days plus the weekend to recuperate from my trip before I got back into my routine. I felt not too far from lifeless but did manage to go to church and fill my post as organist. I’d only been gone a couple of Sabbaths but I was welcomed back as if I’d been away for months. It was gratifying that I’d been missed, though I figured it was the organ playing and not me, personally.

Monday morning saw me back at the hospital. I called the doctor’s office and asked for an order to get my lab work done. No use putting it off. It was a short walk to the clinic but, the way I felt, it seemed like miles. Had I pushed my luck, someone would have gone to get it for me but I didn’t want to admit I felt that bad so I went myself.

It didn’t take long to draw the blood and process the specimen. I looked at the printout and I could see my brother-in-law had guessed right. My TSH was elevated. When my doctor got the results, he had his nurse call me for a brief consult. I was currently on .075 mg (75 mcg) levothyroxine sodium (aka Synthroid). The doctor wrote me a prescription for 1 mcg tablets. No, he didn’t want me to wait to get it filled. I didn’t have that much left of the weaker dose and it would be better for me to go ahead and start on the new prescription.

Hoping against hope it would be the miracle that would make me have more energy, I anxiously waited until the next morning to take the first dose. Sadly, I had to admit that I wasn’t feeling a whole lot different but I rationalized that I was still tired from my trip.

Over the next few days, I was able to get more rest than I’d had in the preceding weeks put together so, by and by, I did notice a difference. There was no difference in my weight except for an upward trend.

July was getting closer and closer and it would be time to go celebrate my granddaughter’s sixth birthday. It hadn’t been that long since I’d had my cross-country trip but I wouldn’t miss that milestone for anything.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.