The Raw Vegan: Part CXIII, The Adventure Continues

There weather was unusually sunny for that part of the country and we took advantage of it. It was a wonderful time of year for fresh produce and we took advantage of that, too. My sister and her husband had found the very best produce stands and we ventured forth to stock up. While my brother-in-law had been Home Alone, he had existed mostly on bean soup and cornbread, I guess. The pantry was well-stocked with canned goods but he liked cooking beans so while my sister had been gone, he ate what he wanted.

There wasn’t any need to buy groceries except for dairy, eggs and fresh stuff so, not once did we hit the supermarket. That was fine with me. They were both good cooks and I was a good cook and we intended to visit some of their favorite restaurants as well. The food front was covered. No need to spend time on unnecessary Stuff.

I’ve emailed and posted a private message on Facebook asking for permission to put pictures of my family on here. My sister hasn’t ever liked a single picture she’s ever had taken except maybe when she was very young. I dared to post a picture of her with DD but that’s the only one where you could see her face. No one has replied so the pictures will be general and more or less generic even though they are connected with the parties involved. If I get permission later, I’ll upload and add them but for now, please understand. My hands are tied. That makes it difficult to type but, oh well!

The market that we went to wasn’t terribly far from the house. I had to take a picture of the sign out front detailing the history.

Histrial Marker

If you want to be able to read it easily, click on it and choose a larger size.

Stepping inside, this is the view that greeted us.


We all loved asparagus so that was the first thing to go in the basket. There was lots more to be seen and bought but those pictures have People in them. Recognizable People.

Cherries were in abundance and the Raniers were especially nice. We got Queen Annes, too, as well as assorted other fruit and veggies. My brother-in-law busied himself picking out just the right ears of corn. When we were satisfied we’d gotten everything we needed, we headed back to the house.

While the others put things away and started readying the meal (they refused my help) I grabbed my camera and took a turn around the yard, this time outside.

I had to get a picture of the maple tree without the window between us.

Another view of the maple tree

There were flowers planted alongside the garage. My brother-in-law loved planting things. He had a thriving tomato patch, too, but it was still a little early to be taking pictures of it. People say that, in that part of the world, summer comes on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Beside the garage

On the lake side of the house (I had a hard time figuring out which was the front and which was the back) he had his rose gardens. They were in full bloom and the fragrance was delicious.


Rose Garden

His pride and joy was the variety known as Henry Fonda. The sun hadn’t completely dried the dew yet.

Henry Fonda

By the time I got through taking pictures, the meal was ready and so was I. I was always ready to eat. The trouble was, my food liked me too well. It tended to stay with me no matter what. When I was in academy, I could eat two complete meals and still not break 100 lubs. That wasn’t my problem any more. The lubs had piled on with my thyroid condition and there was no getting rid of them.

After I ate with what my mother would have called “a comin’ appetite”, we were clearing off the table. My brother-in-law, ever the doctor even though he was retired, said, “When you get back home, have your TSH checked.” My sister whirled around and looked at him. “WHY?” she demanded. “Because she is puffy and sluggish.” We have never let him live that one down. The sad thing was, he was right. I was taking 75 mcg of Synthroid but I still moved at a snail’s pace and my body was beginning to look like the Hindenburg. It wasn’t pretty but I didn’t think I could do anything about it.

My sister and I were sort of in the same boat except her thyroid wasn’t diseased. She’d battled her weight ever since giving birth to my nephew and niece and now it was my turn.

I put my weight problem out of my head and determined that I was going to enjoy my stay and not worry about my appearance. With a house full of good cooks, I wasn’t going to deprive myself, puffy and sluggish or not.

4 Responses to The Raw Vegan: Part CXIII, The Adventure Continues

  1. Genese March 24, 2010 at 9:01 am #

    Tommie, i love yellow roses. That has to be the most perfect specimen i’ve ever seen. Thank you for sharing it.

    • Tommie March 24, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

      I made that into stationery for Incredimail once upon a time. It is beautiful, isn’t it?

  2. Lila March 24, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

    I can almost smell that rose! You know, I always thought our sister in Seattle was very photogenic. I’m surprised that she thought otherwise.

    • Tommie March 24, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

      When I’d start to take her picture, she would glare at me. She really didn’t like to have it taken.

Leave a Reply to Genese Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.