Emergency Stores

No, there aren’t any stores in this area that are geared solely toward emergencies. This is a post about inclement weather predicted and what I’m doing to take care of myself.

Starting tomorrow afternoon, snow with accumulation is supposed to come into the area. According to WeatherBug, there will be 1-3″ of snow and sleet between then and Sabbath afternoon. The higher elevations could get as much as 4″. Now, that doesn’t sound like much but, with the back roads and mountainous terrain plus drivers who don’t know how to navigate in such conditions, it’s the better part of wisdom to hibernate until it’s over.

Today, I went to the Pig so I would avoid the rush that is bound to take place tomorrow. There isn’t anything organic there (except for cheese, I learned, but I don’t eat cheese) so I got a couple of bundles of romaine and some red leaf lettuce. Save a Lot was next on my agenda and I got a bunch of bananas. Not a BUNCH of bananas but ONE bunch. With what I have at home, that should do me until I can get to town to do my regular grocery shopping.

Now, as long as the power doesn’t go off, I’ll be sitting pretty if I have to wait out the weather.

Tell me, what would you not be able to do without if you were snowed in? Leave me a comment, cooked or raw.

6 Responses to Emergency Stores

1. Mary Jane January 29, 2010 at 10:48 am #

What would I do if I were snowed in (again)? It depends on whether or not I had electricity! It was off overnight and until early afternoon in Dec. Here we are expecting up to 12″, so it’s likely that there will be some power outages in the area. Hope not! I do have a fireplace and wood,a kerosene heater, kerosene lamp, candles, and flashlights, so should be able to survive–and read.

• Tommie January 29, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

Sounds like you are very prepared! Wonder if you will get any of this system that has moved in here? I have flashlights, candles, gas logs and FOOD!

2. Genese January 30, 2010 at 11:07 am #

Aside from the essentials of food, heat and light… i really cannot stand the thoughts of being without my internet connection.. since i became totally confined to bed in October 2006, it’s my primary source of news, entertainment and social support. i’d be so lost without it.

i see a beautiful winter wonderland from my window this morning. i’ve heard that the main roads are clear but side roads and backroads are treacherous with a layer of ice covering the snow. i hope everyone stays safe and warm until this stuff thaws.

• Tommie January 30, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

I’ll bet it does look pretty outside. I haven’t gone anywhere. While the power was off today, I felt lost without the WWW.

3. Cassandra February 2, 2010 at 11:30 am #

Definitely fruit. Cooked food is really hard to prepare without electricity.

• Tommie February 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

Right, but at one time, all I would have needed is a can opener and a spoon.