My Week: In Comes the New Year!

It was hours before I got to sleep even though I went to bed fairly early. The bed was cold and I was like a chunk of ice. Not conducive to warming up. I got up to go to the bathroom and DS1 and DIL were still up watching TV. I asked permission (and got it) to wash clothes this morning and went back to bed.

I had on my jammies and wrapped up in the cover but it still didn’t help. I guess I was cold to the core. Some time after I’d been up before, I got up again. The couple had gone to bed and my granddaughter had turned in uncharacteristically early. The on demand hot water is tricky to use but I figured it out after a half hour or so. I tried to run a tub full of very warm water, I slowed the stream so the heater could keep up. I got thoroughly warm, dried off, put my jammies back on and went to bed. I slept.

First thing when I woke this morning, I started “draining” the airbed. It was easier this time because I had a better idea about what I was doing. That always helps. I was still the only one up when I got through. I thought I’d been making a lot of noise but I did have the door shut and I guess it dampened the sound enough not to disturb the others.

DS1 had to work so it was just us girls.

I did a couple of loads of laundry and then made a suggestion to my granddaughter. I had “Julie & Julia” with me and had mentioned it the night before with underwhelming results from DS1. My gdaughter had said she’d like to see it. I told her if it were okay with her mom, we could watch it. So we did. DIL came in and watched most of it with us.

That put me late getting away but I had enjoyed it. I cut out my trip to Aldi and just went to the university supermarket, the produce place and Wally World. When I got home, it was dark but dry enough to pull up to the house to unload. I left the oranges in the car. When I brought my umbrella in, I found a Santa hat wearing bear on a skateboard had hitched a ride home on it. I also discovered I left my salt shaker. Oh, well.

Oh, groan! It was back to work today. I’m thankful I have a job, though.

I was able to walk both morning and afternoon. It was nice to get back to it. I hadn’t walked for any length of time since last Tuesday. Almost a week. That’s bad. Must do better.

This is the season when I have to work on the Fruit Basket Upset, schedule-wise. Somehow, someway, I had put the same person off at Christmas two years of the last three so one person was disappointed she won’t be on her six day stretch in 2010. My sincere apologies. It won’t happen again.

There must’ve been a distraction when Managed Care met because I missed it. It’s mandatory so I definitely missed the last chance to go in 2009. Can’t go back and do it over.

There was walking morning and afternoon. It was a pretty decent day today.

Surprise! DD said it was okay to put her and her date’s picture up on tonight’s post. You can see it here if you haven’t already.

There’s Something crawling around on the duct work under the house. I’ve emailed my neighbor to take a look and see where it might have gotten in.

It wasn’t the best day for walking. Kinda drizzly and yucky so I stayed inside.

I’d bought some mushrooms to marinate and every time I open the fridge I see them. I haven’t had anything like that for a long, long time. I need to do something with them. Maybe I’ll fix them tomorrow for my New Year’s meal. It’s too late to do it tonight.

My neighbor emailed that she didn’t see anything but she will bring a live trap and see if she can catch whatever it is. It bumps and scrambles around and Twinkle looks interested.

Happy New Year’s Eve! I’ve been hearing a lot about the blue moon and how tonight is going to be a double whammy—that and New Year’s Eve all rolled into one. Seems the ED gets busy for either one but both in one night? The last time it happened was 19 years ago and I don’t remember if it was busy or not. Isn’t important, anyway.

I didn’t even try to walk. As a matter of fact, I cut out early and came home. I copped out on a New Year’s post. All I did was find an appropriate image and add a paragraph. I think I’m getting burned out.

No staying up to see the ball drop for me! I have a big day planned for tomorrow.

Still heard my new pet under the house. I hope it isn’t a skunk. I don’t smell anything so I’m pretty convinced it isn’t. I thought it might be Smokey but my neighbor said no.

Friday, aka New Year’s Day
Happy birthday to DS2! I sent him a card with a Dale Earnhardt gift card. More often than not, I give him a Bass Pro Shop gift card but I figured I’d do something different.

A day I had at home all day and I got up not long after I usually do when I’m working. I needed to get to my projects.

First thing, I went out and got the hose so I could drain the waterbed. It was still dark but between my motion detector light and my neighbor’s, I was able to see just fine. I assembled the poor little kit that came with the new mattress and started trying to suction the water out myself and about gave me a hernia. All I needed to do was to get it started and the Laws of Nature would take care of the rest.

That was not to be. I decided I would hook the hose up to a faucet so I could run some water through and then get it started draining that way. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? Not so! I couldn’t get the adapter onto the faucet in the bathroom so I had to pull the hose through the bedroom into the livingroom and then across the kitchen to the sink.

The adapter fit the kitchen faucet but I had another job getting it onto the hose and the faucet all at once. It wasn’t easy to do one or the other but it definitely wasn’t easy to hook it all up as a unit. I had to pray my way through that one. I turned the hot water on so it would warm up the hose. It had a couple of kinks in it and it was impossible to get them out as cold as it still was.

That part of the mission was accomplished. I took the hose back into the bathroom and by lifting it over and over to the end, it started draining. I breathed a sigh of relief and had my devotions and rebounded.

I’d check frequently to make sure the water was still coming out and I had to encourage it a couple of times. During all this, I did manage to have breakfast.

Before all the water was out, I got my Windows 7 upgrade CD and started on THAT. I’d go back and forth from one to the other most of the rest of the day. The upgrade didn’t take a lot of effort on my part but it did take a long time and I kept checking on it.

Finally, all the water was out of the mattress and I freaked Twinkle out by vacuuming the frame. I got the new liner in place and the mattress inside it. Once again, I labored to get the hose attached to the kitchen faucet. Even though I needed to use that water, there was no way I was going to take it loose until the deed was done. I rinsed the blender container at the bathtub.

To make a long story short, I got finished, made the bed and completed the upgrade. The only disappointment about the latter was my Bluetooth mouse doesn’t work with Windows 7 and I haven’t been able to find a solution. I went to the forum and posted a cry for help. Hopefully, someone will take pity on me.

My New Year’s treat was a Holiday Date Nut Ball. It was better a week ago.

I’m going to take a bath and crawl into that waterbed. Good night and Happy Sabbath!

Saturday night
I was on Facebook this morning and one of the members left me a message that she missed me last night. I had no idea what she was talking about so when another member asked how to spell a word, I asked her. The Agape Feast was last night! Since I wasn’t at church last week, I didn’t know about it. Another of those Can’t Go Back and Do It Over things.

It’s COLD today. I was going to unplug the bed last night but it was still not very warm. I knew it will lose about a degree an hour which is normally okay but I would have been an icicle by this morning. I braved the EMFs and left it plugged up. Maybe it will be warm enough tonight.

I’d left the water running last night. I’d rather pay a little more on the water bill than to have burst pipes. Another of the Facebook people asked if it were snowing out here. I hadn’t even looked out and lo! The ground was almost covered with a fine powdery dry snow. It came right off the windshield but I warmed the car up, anyway.

You can be sure there were enough clothes on my body to keep me warm. I won’t make the mistake of going with insufficient warmth again.

The pastor was a little late getting back over the mountain and arrived just as the musicians were being called back up to sing until he got there. We had a reprieve. It surely is nice to play an organ that has all its voices functioning.

This afternoon was pretty quiet. I haven’t heard the Critter for a couple of nights now. I hope it has been able to find its way out. I’d hate for it to starve under there and really stink up the place.

DS1 called with some sad news. His aunt (my ex-DH’s sister) died last night. She had ovarian cancer. The last couple of times he’d called her, she was unable to talk. DIL forwarded an email that had been sent out from the church her husband pastors. It has a picture of both of them at a happier time. She was 55.

The mushrooms are marinating. I’ll eat some tomorrow!

I got brave and installed the photo part of the Paint Shop bundle tonight. It looks like it will take some getting used to. I have some pictures I still haven’t looked at that I took at DS1’s place. I had him check out my camera and it turns out I had it on the wrong setting. That’s probably why I wasn’t able to get very good pictures with it. I’ll try to get those uploaded and posted tomorrow but, if I don’t, it won’t be the end of the world.

As for now, I think I’ve bored you long enough. After I proof this, I’m going to bed.

2 Responses to My Week: In Comes the New Year!

  1. Lila Morgan January 3, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

    Glad you found a way to get warmed up so you could sleep! Being cold just isn’t all that much fun.

    • Tommie January 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm #

      Me, too. The on demand is a good concept but it can be touchy. Thought I was going to have to go back to bed cold but I was determined to figure it out. I told my granddaughter the trick and she was glad to learn it.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.