My Square Foot Garden: 6,000+ Words

It’s said a picture is worth 1,000 words so here’s 6,000+ words worth.

Cucumbers Gone Wild

You can’t see the cucumbers but they’re there. I’ve gotten so I sneak over to the neighbor’s house and leave the extras on the counter and run. I took some to work and couldn’t give them away. They are lovely cukes and people are missing a lot by not taking them but, oh, well!

Here are the poor pitiful cherry tomato plants. They are producing and I’ve picked a few so far but haven’t eaten them yet.

Cherry Tomatoes

Here’s a Black Diamond melon I hadn’t discovered until the other day and it’s the biggest one in the patch. You can see where I put my fingerprints on it. My hand is to give an idea of the size. Just so you know, I have huge hands—NOT!

Evidence!

This is a yellow flesh watermelon. I do hope it matures and ripens before frost! You can see where I’ve scattered some good, sweet cherry tomatoes in the hope they will come up volunteer next spring.

Yellow Watermelon

These are two of my newest Black Diamond melons. I doubt they’ll make it before frost but they surely are trying!

More Black Diamond Melons

Please, please ripen soon! I want some peppers from my own garden!

Green Peppers Waiting to Turn Red

So, there you have it for this week. We’ll see if there are any earthshaking changes next week.

10 Responses to My Square Foot Garden: 6,000+ Words

1. Mary Jane August 7, 2009 at 2:08 pm #

Lookin’ good! Wish I could say the same for mine.

• Tommie August 8, 2009 at 8:12 am #

What is it with the gardens this year? Seems everyone is having trouble.

2. Lila August 8, 2009 at 10:00 pm #

I’d love to sample that watermelon when it’s ripe! If I’ve ever eaten Black Diamond melon, I didn’t realize the variety it was. Wonder if it’s anything like Crimson Sweet.

• Tommie August 10, 2009 at 12:05 pm #

I had one from the produce man and it was really good! I have some Crimson Sweet planted, too.

3. Anna August 9, 2009 at 7:39 am #

Awesome site! Awesome post!

I made Raw Carrot Cake yesterday and thought you might like the recipe 🙂

Love the garden! I just started a garden this year too! There’s nothing quite as delicious as a tomato picked from your own garden!

Thanks!
    Anna

• Tommie August 10, 2009 at 12:05 pm #

Thanks, Anna! Did you intend to post this on the giveaway? It would be nice if I had some tomatoes. All but my cherry tomatoes bit the dust. What’s left isn’t doing real well.

4. Cassandra August 18, 2009 at 9:48 am #

Your watermelons look awesome!

• Tommie August 19, 2009 at 6:29 am #

My neighbor keeps an eye on them so they should be safe. 😀

5. Clara Mae January 12, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

We tried four-square gardening last summer in false bottomed apple boxes, because we have rocky ground and most of all tons of moles and gophers and ground squirrels. We were unable to get the exact fertilizer items recommended in the book, but we had the best garden we had had for years. Next time I’ll know a little better how to space the plants. The peas didn’t have a chance between the melons and spinach.

I like your web site. A Canadian friend recommended it.

• Tommie January 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

It’s amazing how much you can squeeze into those boxes but I know what you mean about spacing. I learned a lot, too.

Many thanks to your Canadian friend!