Raw Vegan Recipe: Creamed Corn with Basil

The last time I made creamed corn with basil, I already had one cob scraped. Too late to go back but I grabbed my camera and recorded the rest of the process. I know a lot of you out there know how to “cream” corn when cutting it off the cob but some of you don’t so here’s a blow by blow in pictures just for you (and anyone else who wants to peek).

Everyone knows how to shuck corn. I never wash my corn once it’s shucked. To me, that equates with washing a banana after it’s peeled. It’s unnecessary and the water clinging to it dilutes everything and you lose flavor if you’re going to eat it raw—and is there any other way?? Then put one hand against the ear and roll it with the other one to get the silks off. The real skill comes in cutting it off the cob.

When I was a child, my mother would cut corn off and never never cut it clear down to the cob. She always barely “tipped” it and had me up in a chair doing the same thing when I was eight years old. Yes, with a sharp knife. The sharper the better.

Tipping the Corn

Here’s what you want it to look like after you’ve finished tipping it.

Tipped Corn Ready to Scrape

Then she taught me to turn the knife over and use the dull edge to scrape the “cream” off the cob.

Scraping the Cob for Cream

We’ve already treated it gently. This is where you want to put some muscle into it and get every last bit of the creamy goodness.

Now for the basil. This was straight out of my garden. I’ve never used dried basil in this recipe but if you have to, let me know how it tastes. I like a LOT of basil.

Basil--Use a Little or a Lot

For a job this small, I don’t break out the cutting board, I just roll up the leaves and cut them right over the bowl to make a chiffonade of basil. Can you tell I’ve been watching the Food Network?

Chiffonade of Basil

Now for the salt or not. Either way you want it. I prefer mine with a nice sprinkle.

Adding the Salt

Then grab your spoon and give it a good stir.

Stirring in the Basil & Salt

Now, take a look at all the good cream from the corn. Amazing! Not a drop of water in it! And do you know that canned creamed corn doesn’t have any cream in it? Next time you are in the grocery store, visit the foreign country known as Canned Goods and read the label.

Cream!

See the little arrow pointing at the mess? If it isn’t cleaned up right away, it will stick like glue. If you don’t want to mess up your table (and my mother would have been disgraced at my behavior) you can cut the corn in a container in the sink or put newspaper on the table. Neither one would have looked pretty in the pictures, though.

And now for the finished product. All ready to eat and garnished with a basil leaf. (I’ve also learned not to garnish with something that isn’t in the actual dish as an ingredient.)

Ready to Slurp Up

Can you say “SUPER DELICIOUS!”? I eat it with the same spoon I use for stirring. Saves on dishes and it gives me the mouthful I want. And want. And want. BTW, this was the sweetest corn I’ve had so far this summer!

If you have another take on this, share by leaving a comment!

12 Responses to Raw Vegan Recipe: Creamed Corn with Basil

1. Charisse July 12, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

This looks absolutely delicious. I looked for fresh corn today, but couldn’t find any at the farmer’s market. Going to have to stop by the little produce stand tomorrow.

• Tommie July 12, 2009 at 9:14 pm #

It’s delicious and oh, so easy!

2. Cassandra July 12, 2009 at 11:27 pm #

Did you use three ears of corn to make that? I want some! I’ll have to find me some corn and some fresh basil. :D

• Tommie July 13, 2009 at 6:00 am #

Yes, I used three ears but you could use two or five or whatever. The measurements for this aren’t critical. If you wanted to make it for yourself and DH, you could use half a dozen. As for the basil, see if you can find a basil PLANT to bring home and set it in a sunny windowsill. It can be expensive to buy fresh basil (I know—I’ve been doing that) and it’s easy to grow. Just keep the buds pinched off so it won’t go to seed, water it now and then and you can have your own basil for months. ;)

3. Shari July 13, 2009 at 7:47 am #

Never thought about using the dull side for “cream”! As soon as corn is in, we’ll be having that for dinner!

A side note, I noticed you have the most beautiful skin on the back of your hands. No “age” spots or freckles, gorgeous!

• Tommie July 13, 2009 at 7:54 am #

My mother was a pro when it came to corn!

Thanks for the compliment, Sys! Wish my skin were that nice ALL over but I’ll take it on my hands, at least. :)

4. Amy July 28, 2009 at 9:18 pm #

Tommie,
    I just found your blog! I love all the recipes.
    I’m pretty new to the raw life style.
    I’ll be checking in often!
    amy:)

• Tommie July 28, 2009 at 9:35 pm #

Welcome to my world! Thanks for the good comment. I was once where you are so stick with it! And check out the forum, too. (The link is at the top of the page right under the header.)

5. Giavanna November 20, 2009 at 12:36 am #

Thank you so much for the step-by-step explanation! I have never seen it done this way…other recipes just say to stick it in a blender or food processor. This looks so much better! And I can bet it tastes much better without the “skins” of the kernels.
    I am going to make it tonight for dinner…yumm!!!
    So happy I came along this website!
    I, too, and pretty new to living raw, and am happy to see not only the recipe, but also the technique used. Its very helpful when you’re new.
    Thanks!!!

• Tommie November 20, 2009 at 5:59 am #

You’re welcome, Giavanna! It still has some “skins” but it’s mostly cream. Where are you getting excellent fresh sweet corn this time of year?? There are some other step by step recipes in the illustrated category and more to come when I can get “a round tuit”. Good luck with eating raw! Stick with it! It will do you good!

6. Shirley Dumas September 4, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

Yummy to my tummy, loved it.
    Thank you sooooo much.