Square Foot Garden: Before and After

I’ve been putting my new camera to good use. Day before yesterday, I went out and did a tour with commentary. I didn’t want to wait until the last day (today) to do it since it would be my first effort at posting something on youtube. It’s a good thing I gave me plenty of time. You can read about my trials and tribulations on my Saturday night post. I’d give you the link but it isn’t there yet. Back to the video, though. Here it is for those of you on highspeed. For the ones that aren’t, I’ve included the “after” ones.

And explanation about the title—I shot the video before the rousing storm we had today. The rain came down in torrents where I was and the wind was fierce. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see some real damage when I got home but, as you can tell, it was minor. I was watching the radar online and the worst of the storm was right over my house from the way it looked.

And now for the “after” pictures:

After the Rain

Tomatoes Need Staking

Bush Tomato

The Bush tomato is supposed to grow, as I’ve mentioned before, up to four feet tall without the need of a stake but I think this one will require it. My neighbor told me he would cut some stakes for me when he gets home so maybe I’ll have some soon.

This is the latest installment of this year’s Square Foot Garden and the Raw Vegan who is enjoying watching it.

12 Responses to Square Foot Garden: Before and After

1. Lila June 11, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

Mmmmm, Tommie, I really would enjoy some of that beautiful romaine! Your garden is outdoing itself. Way to go!

Love,
    Lila

• Tommie June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm #

I’m right proud of it, if I do say so myself. The romaine has a rather strong flavor so I may be using it mostly for smoothies. One of the girls said today that I can just go out to the garden and eat my salad. 😀 Oh, and the romaine at the right end and across the back of the picture is what the critter munched.

2. Mary Jane June 12, 2009 at 8:11 am #

Glad yur garden is flourishing. So is mine–especially the weeds, but you don’t have to contend with those!

• Tommie June 12, 2009 at 8:42 pm #

We-ellllllllll, that isn’t quite true. There are a few in last year’s boxes but they come out easily.

3. fishermgcj June 14, 2009 at 1:31 am #

Good looking garden! Our son has is doing square foot gardening and his is doing great, too. We’re with them now, eating lots of romaine. it’s delicious, but bolting to seed due to the hot weather. Good luck with the garden, and keep up the awesome blog! Thanks, Ginny

• Tommie June 14, 2009 at 7:32 am #

It’s amazing how things grow using this method. They grow, anyway, but this means more food with less work and that’s what I need what with a full time job and my blog & forum. Can’t beat it with a stick!

4. Sheila June 14, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Tommie, what a wonderful video…I loved the gardens but the tour with narration and little birds in the background made me just plain happy all over. I’ll bet you are anxious to harvest everything as it appears to be growing so well! You do a great job with your blog!

• Tommie June 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks for the compliment, Sheila. It’s pretty rough but okay for a first time. I’ve been having green onions in my salad every evening for several days. As for the lettuces, I’m letting them grow to see if they will form heads. They’re kind of an experiment since it would take much of what’s there for one of my salads.

My blog is all thanks to merm and DD. They gave me the redesign Christmas before last. I couldn’t have done it without them.

5. Cassandra June 17, 2009 at 1:57 pm #

Tommie! Your garden looks great! This was the first time I’ve heard your voice and it wasn’t what I was expecting. I know you live in TN, so I don’t know why I wasn’t expecting the accent… 🙂 Love it!

• Tommie June 17, 2009 at 9:59 pm #

At least you aren’t abandoning me because of the accent! Thanks, Cass.

6. Cassandra June 17, 2009 at 11:46 pm #

Nah, wouldn’t abandon you because of the accent. When I get mad, a southern accent comes out. hehe

• Tommie June 18, 2009 at 6:30 am #

My sister who lives in the Great Northwest said her children could tell when she and I had been visiting via phone because they’d say she was talking “Southren”. That’s pronounced “SUTH-ren.”