Raw Vegan Recipe: Marinated Brussels Sprouts

This is literally a step by step photo recipe that progresses from the raw ingredients to the finished product. I’m posting the pictures but I won’t be commenting unless it’s necessary. THEY say a picture is worth a thousand words. That means this post is worth about 18,000. :)

Raw Brussels Sprouts

Cleaning the Brussels Sprouts

Cleaned Brussels Sprouts

One note here—after cleaning the outer leaves off, I don’t wash them. I would equate washing a cleaned Brussels sprout with washing a peeled banana.

Cutting the Sprouts

Careful with that last little bit!

Tada!

Put the Pieces in a Bowl

Bragg EVOO, Hickory Seasoning, Bragg Liquid Aminos

Another brief note—I rarely use any of these items but this is more of what we call a Sumptuous Feast on the forum.

Bragg Liquid Aminos

For the marinade, I used two tablespoons Bragg EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), the same amount of Bragg Liquid Aminos

Hickory Seasoning

and one teaspoon Hickory Seasoning. This can be omitted if you want.

Whisk the Liquid Ingredients

Whisk to emulsify.

Add the Sliced Sprouts

Stir to Coat with the Marinade

On the Dehydrator

Covered

Leave in/on the dehydrator as long as you want to get the desired result. I left mine for probably eight hours.

Stir Once or Twice

Stir once or twice to coat with the marinade.

The Finished Product

Served in a Bowl with a Sprig of Fresh Dill

Store the leftovers (if there are any) in the fridge, covered. I don’t know how long they will keep. I ate all of the first making at one sitting.

14 Responses to Raw Vegan Recipe: Marinated Brussels Sprouts

1. Connie April 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm #

That looks like a sumptuous feast to me! My brother and sister hated it when we were kids and I always requested brussel sprouts for Thanksgiving. I still think of them as holiday food because it was the only time my mom made them. :)

• Tommie April 27, 2009 at 6:14 pm #

I’ve always loved Brussels sprouts but couldn’t stomach them raw until now.

2. Connie April 29, 2009 at 6:56 am #

I’ve never eaten them raw. It was the salt of the Braggs that I was worried about. I am doing a citrus juice feast right now but will try them and let you know after I am through.

• Tommie April 29, 2009 at 7:37 am #

Sorry. I didn’t realize from your previous comment you were worried. Don’t try them if you have a concern. As I said, this is a once in a very great while recipe. Not for daily consumption or even weekly or monthly. Keep them for Thanksgiving!

3. Steve February 25, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

OH that looks SO delicious! I love brussels sprouts.

• Tommie February 26, 2010 at 8:06 am #

I do, too, Steve. If you come up with a twist on this, let me know!

4. Karen August 7, 2010 at 5:50 pm #

Wow, this sounds great! I might try it using a chipotle chili instead of the liquid smoke and tamari instead of bragg’s. Definitely going to give it a go. Thanks. x

• Tommie August 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

Let me know how it goes!

5. Sheila October 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

I am new to the Raw Food Diet and must say I am loving it. This recipe is WONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing -

• Tommie October 30, 2010 at 4:28 pm #

You’re welcome, Sheila!

6. Zyxomma December 9, 2011 at 12:27 am #

24 hours before preparing the sprouts, soak about a cup of organic nuts (Macadamia, pine nuts, Brazil nuts, or cashews) in pure water to cover. My raw Brussels sprouts recipe calls for a trim of the stem, removing any damages (or yellow) leaves, halving any larger than 3/4 inch (about 2 cm), then a brisk massage with fresh-ground Himalayan salt. Rinse and drain the soaked nuts, then Vitamix them with nutritional yeast to taste (optional!), 1 small orange pepper, about a tablespoon of fresh sage, and the meat of a young coconut. Blend until entirely smooth and creamy (adding pure water if it’s too thick). Stir the “cheese” sauce together with the sprouts. To serve warm, place in the dehydrator for an hour or two.

The same creamy sauce, minus the sage, is how I make live creamed spinach, too. Spinach is probably the easiest vegetable to salt massage for a cooked texture. Health and peace.

• Tommie December 9, 2011 at 5:53 am #

Thanks for the recipe! I haven’t had access to young coconut for several years now. Too bad I’m so allergic to spinach, too!!

7. Cindi June 20, 2012 at 1:02 am #

Hi,I am assuming that using a dehydrator replaces an oven? Can you recommend a reliable brand?

• Tommie June 20, 2012 at 7:49 am #

I have an Excalibur that has given me excellent service. When I was shopping for it, I was told to get the large nine tray so I would have the necessary room to make raw recipes. You can go through my link to Amazon to get a good deal. That will help keep this blog (and the forum) going. :)