Raw Vegan Recipe: Cantaloupe/Spinach Smoothie

My forum friend, Shari, declares her cantaloupe/spinach smoothie tastes like a vanilla milkshake. I can’t agree on that one but they are sweet and good and, if you add a dash of vanilla, it might more resemble one. To learn how to make one, press on!

IngredientsThe only ingredients are a good, ripe cantaloupe and half a container of organic spinach (unless you decide to add that dash of vanilla). I use conventional produce when I can’t get organic but I never buy conventional spinach. It is the highest on the list of the presence of pesticides. Do yourself a favor and pay more for organic.

PEEL the cantaloupe and take out the seeds (I’ll post what I did with the scraps later). I know of at least one person who includes everything but, to me, that isn’t necessary or appetizing. Cut the flesh into chunks.

Cantaloupe Chunks

I have the quart size blender container that I use constantly and I fill it to the very top.

In the Container

Then I blend it just a little so it will settle. That’s when I add the spinach.

Spinach Added

Blend. The ingredients aren’t tough so it doesn’t take much speed or very long. As you can see, the container isn’t close to full. You can add more ingredients to make a full quart if you want.

Blended

Now, here’s a variation. You can drink it as is, or, if you haven’t munched all the extra chunks, dice some of the cantaloupe into 1/4″ pieces, give or take and put them in a bowl.

Diced Cantaloupe

Pour some of the smoothie over the dices and you have cantaloupe soup! Put the rest of it in a glass and you have a yummy meal.

Soup and Smoothie

If I’m not intent on getting my minerals for the day, I’ll leave out the spinach and just have a cantaloupe smoothie. I do like to just eat the cantaloupe plain, too, but it’s so nice to have the cool creamy goodness on a hot summer day. Mark my words! Those days will be here in Tennessee soon!

7 Responses to Raw Vegan Recipe: Cantaloupe/Spinach Smoothie

1. mommygoingraw April 23, 2009 at 9:26 am #

Tried this and it was very good. I didn’t have the vanilla on hand so I will try that next time. I juiced half of the cantaloupe first since I like mine a little thinner. Thanks also for the reminder of the importance of organic spinach. Lately I let myself get lazy and buy it from the store “where I’m at” rather than to make the effort to go farther to get the organic stuff.
    Couldn’t get the kids to try it this time due to the green, but they are starting to come around, and I will keep offering.

• Tommie April 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm #

How old are your kids? Most of them can be enticed to try green if you tell them it’s “superhero food”. If they’re too old for that, tell them it’s pond scum.

2. Cindylee September 24, 2009 at 8:55 am #

Pond scum, worked on my 15yr old son this morning…lol.

• Tommie September 24, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

So there’s proof! 😀

3. Robert Bravo March 8, 2010 at 11:09 am #

I had been juicing spinach and still do but I feel that too much of the spinach is wasted. My favorite smoothie is:

2-3 cups of blueberries organic
    1 banana (the closer to “overripe” the better)
    1 scoop of protein (Whey)
    1 scoop of flax seed organic
    1.5 cups of keifer
    2 cups of triple washed organic spinach or baby spinach
    3-4 table spoons of organic apple cider vinager (Braggs)
    3 tablespoons of organic (from Spain) Olive Oil (cold press)

Blend all my regular vitamins into this because I think they may be absorbed in my body better (I am not a scientist or doctor).

Sometimes I put a tablespoon of cocoa powder (pure)- very good for you and the items above act as the sweetner.

You can also add a mango, apple or strawberries

• Tommie March 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Well, that looks like it’s quite involved! I use blueberries (1 cup), 2-3 bananas depending on size, a cup of filtered water, a large handful of parsley and a good amount of spinach in my morning smoothie. Since I am vegan, I don’t “do” the whey or keifer and I’m at a loss to know why you would put vinegar, flax seed or olive oil in a fruit smoothie. Mixing fat and sweet fruit isn’t an advisable combination. Just my 2 cents. Of course, you can do what you want. I do. 🙂

4. Dani April 2, 2010 at 8:45 am #

I’ve been making smoothies for my kids in the morning for years. I may use, Kale, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens or Spinach along with banana, and blueberries or other just about any other berries available.