B-12 Revisited

As you may (or probably don’t) remember, I had my blood drawn around the end of 2008. And, as you may (or probably don’t) remember, my B-12 came back exceedingly low. I found out about it on New Year’s Eve. Happy New Year to me. If you don’t know where this is coming from you can find out/refresh your memory here. My primary care doctor wanted me to have B-12 injections but I told him I would take the lozenges

There was a bottle of lozenges sitting beside my printer at home and it had been there, neglected, for months. While waiting for an order of fresh ones, I proceeded to take the ones I already had. As a recap, I immediately felt better.

Getting the fresh ones here was a comedy of errors. I’d ordered them on New Year’s Eve and I don’t know if the changing of the year had anything to do with it or not. Somewhere along the way, my order got deleted, ignored, or eaten by a hungry computer. At any rate, I waited and waited and waited for the little bottle to come but it never did. According to the web site, I hadn’t ordered anything on December 31, 2008.

Okay. So I kept munching on the ones I bought long ago. I know a lot of expiration dates are for the benefit of the manufacturers and not the consumer. Several people assured me I wouldn’t die if I took expired B-12.

In the meantime, one of the forum members told about some teeny tiny nuggets of B-12 she’d bought so I went online and found them. I ordered a bottle and proceeded to wait again. Here came a huge box with a teeny tiny package inside volumes of Styrofoam peanuts. As for the contents, I read on the label it contained lactose. It couldn’t even be as much as a drop. Does the fact that I took one every three or four days make me a non-vegan?

I wasn’t fully convinced they were doing me any more good than the ones sitting on the counter for eons. I decided I would order some of the same brand but in a different strength. When it came, it said right on the bottle, “Suitable for Vegetarians/Vegans”. I guess I wouldn’t be quite so anal about it if I weren’t being held accountable by the members of the forum and the readers of my blog.

The doctor had given me an order to have my B-12 level tested again in six weeks. I’d read some instructions to be fasting and others said it wasn’t necessary. To be on the safe side, I didn’t eat last Friday morning.

Since I’m a card-carrying Medicare person now, none of the girls wanted to register me. It can get very involved answering all the questions for someone with Medicare who still has other insurance primary. I took pity on them and registered myself. All one of them had to do was witness my signature on the myriad forms.

It was back to the lab where the tech expertly drew my blood and the vial was shipped off to a reference lab to be tested. It would be Monday before I’d know anything.

After a long weekend of wondering, I got the results from the lab.

To compare, here’s the story from December 29:
End of 2008 B-12

And here’s the Rest of the Story:
B-12 Repeat

Note: you can click on either of the images above to open them larger in another window.

I called the doctor’s office and asked if they had the results. She looked them up, took them to the doctor and then she came back to the phone. She read them to me and said she’d been told to file them. No need for me to see the doctor. I could continue as I’d been doing and my B-12 was more than okay.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

8 Responses to B-12 Revisited

1. Cassandra February 13, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

Yay! Congrats on having good B-12. 😀

• Tommie February 13, 2009 at 6:32 pm #

Makes me feel like I’m gonna make it!

2. Christine February 21, 2009 at 12:08 am #

Right on for the B-12! I’m fairly new to raw food myself.. and veganism in general, I’ve been a vegetarian for over two years and partial vegetarian for 7 years prior to that. Anyway, I had to get B-12 injections before, definitely not fun. But when you say you take lozenges, do you mean vitamin supplements? Like the stuff you buy in the health food store or what have you? I take a B complex vitamin but I haven’t gotten my B-12 re-checked for a couple years now… so just wondering. 🙂

• Tommie February 21, 2009 at 7:41 am #

Good luck with eating raw, Christine! Have you joined the best raw food forum on earth? You can get lots of information/support there.

B-12 lozenges are AKA sublingual B-12. The ones I have can either be chewed, allowed to dissolve in the mouth or under the tongue. I break the lozenge up with my teeth and then shift the pieces under my tongue. I get the ones that are suitable for vegetarians/vegans. You should be able to find them at health food stores under the Jarrow brand.

The way I understand it, the purpose of dissolving them under the tongue is that it gets to the bloodstream without having to go through the digestive system.

3. Mary Kay March 6, 2009 at 11:15 pm #

Congrats on getting your B 12 up. I just had mine tested as part of a huge nutritional screening – The Functional Intracellular Analysis….I also tested my 6 y.o. twins, and we all came back slightly low on B-12.

We do eat a little meat, but not very much, and we eat lots of eggs, mostly raw, and a small amt of raw milk, raw kefir and yogurt.

Do you feel the difference now that your levels are up? If so, how?

And also, I don’t know if I told you how I am very impressed with your weightloss and how you’re helping people with your forum.

You go girl!

Mary Kay

• Tommie March 7, 2009 at 7:26 am #

Thanks, Mary Kay! I don’t eat any meat—never have—and I quit eating eggs when I went to raw vegan fruits and veggies. The thought of eating an uncooked egg turns me wrong side out. As for the dairy, I haven’t eaten anything from the cow, goat, or sheep for longer than I haven’t eaten eggs and I feel so much better for it.

Yes, I have more energy and generally feel better all over. I had small red spots on my forearms (probably from the megaloblastic anemia caused by the B-12 deficiency) and they have almost completely gone away.

Getting the weight off with raw vegan food is the easiest thing I’ve ever done. It can’t hang around and it has nowhere to go but away. The forum is a labor of love. I appreciate you and all the users coming there for support.

Have a wonderful day!

4. ehartmanf May 24, 2009 at 6:05 pm #

Tommie,

Do you still take the same dose (5000mcg) of the B12? I see they also sell the 1000mcg dose.

• Tommie May 24, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

Sometimes I take the 1000 and sometimes the 5000. It’s virtually impossible to overdose on B-12. As a matter of fact, I don’t know that it’s possible at all. I take it 2-3 times a week, not every day now.