Is My Car Making Me Sick?

I love my little car. It’s been good to me and I try to be good to it. Lately, though, things haven’t been quite right. I think it started a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was me but I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t.

I’d been to shop the organic market, the Asian market and Aldi. On the way home, I started feeling lightheaded. I could have chalked it up to not having enough to eat but I’d taken a green smoothie with me and sat outside in the sun to drink it. I wondered what was going on. Maybe my blood sugar (as Barney would say, “my sugar blood”) was low and I needed to get home and eat some more. Once I did have another meal, I still didn’t feel at all well.

Next morning, when I was driving to work, I started feeling woozy. I take my juice and green smoothie with me in the a.m. and it was possible I would feel better after I conSOOMED them. Sure enough, an hour or so later, I was fine. That afternoon, it was a repeat of the morning. Strange.

I’m not real bright at times and it took me this long to figure it out. There must be a breach in something somewhere in my car that’s letting noxious fumes inside. I’ll be perky as can be on the way out but as soon as I close the car door, I start wilting. It happens too often not to be related.

Could it be carbon monoxide? I don’t know. I’ll get a slight nagging headache that clears up once I’ve been in another environment for an hour or so.

Today, I cracked the windows as I drove and it did seem to help some. Do I need to take my car to the dealer or can the man at my local gas station find the problem? I don’t want to drive it too far. I had planned to celebrate my birthday by going to Aldi, etc., Sunday but I’m not going to chance it.

Anybody out there have any advice? Please leave me a comment if you do. My life could depend on it.

16 Responses to Is My Car Making Me Sick?

  1. Cassandra February 6, 2009 at 12:23 am #

    Don’t die. 🙂 I know nothing about cars, so that’s the best advice I can give.

    Happy almost Sabbath!!

    • Tommie February 6, 2009 at 6:35 pm #

      I’m trying my best not to! I had a mechanic check it this afternoon and he couldn’t find the source. Guess it’s on to a muffler guy next week. More $$ I don’t have…

      Happy Sabbath 2U2!

  2. Zucchini Breath February 6, 2009 at 6:49 pm #

    It sounds like your theory is correct. It could be a hose came detached, an easy fix, they just re-tach it.

    🙂 Don’t drive wilted!

    • Tommie February 7, 2009 at 8:52 pm #

      No loose hoses or anything with holes. Sorry for me. I can’t have anything much that’s easy… 🙁

  3. Leslie February 6, 2009 at 7:09 pm #

    I am having the exact same issue but includes a really bad stiff neck as well. Not having much luck with answers.

    • Tommie February 7, 2009 at 8:53 pm #

      What are we going to do with us??

  4. Amanda October 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

    I think my car is making me ill and would like to test it for carbon monoxide. I don’t have gas in my house so it can’t be that. I ache everywhere and this started about 2 weeks ago

    • Tommie October 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

      Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Or is there a place where you can have it tested? If you think that’s it, do something pronto. If it turns out to be CO and you don’t get something done fast, the effects can be permanent. I still have a tremor and sometimes I have balance problems.

  5. Jillian March 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

    Did you ever figure out if it was actually your vehicle making you ill? I think I have that same problem. I get really dizzy and confused when driving in my car

    • Tommie March 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

      No. It was my gas logs. I tell about it here. If you are having that problem, get your car checked out ASAP. I can tell you that some of the damage caused by CO poisoning never goes away—or mine hasn’t, anyway.

  6. Bebe April 26, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

    have the same problem. The mechanics found some mildew in the “case.” I stil get the headaches, sinuses probnlem and I fell like I’m coming down with a cold. Headache, sneezing, runny nose. But only when I turn on the air conditioner. The mechanics at the car dealer, have cleaned the engine of all debris. I have not had to spend any money, they gave me a rental to drive, and I turned on the air conditioner to that car, no problems. Only my car, and it is only 2.5 years old. Everytime I turn on the air conditioner, I get sick. Any suggestions?

    • Tommie April 27, 2013 at 7:42 am #

      I found this. Google enzyme solutions to find what and where to buy the product needed. My car doesn’t have a cabin filter but if yours does, it might help to change it. Let me know how it goes!

  7. Shanna May 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

    Right here is the perfect website for anyone who wishes to understand this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject which has been written about for many years.
    Excellent stuff, just excellent!

  8. Carole July 22, 2014 at 11:52 am #

    My husband drives for four to five hours a day as part of his job. He recently was given a new Volkswagen Golf (diesel) and his health has been deteriorating ever since. He is wheezy, coughing and now has thyroid problems. He was always healthy before and we note that his coughing gets worse during the week and improves at weekends and on holiday, when he drives another car. Recently, we thought we would check for carbon monoxide and put a detector on the passenger seat. After two hours the alarm went off and then again some time later. He was not in heavy traffic, the weather was fine and the car was doing about 60 – 70mph on a motorway and was not in heavy traffic. The dealership have had the car back and have not found a fault and claim diesel engines cannot create carbon monoxide. If so, why is this car making him ill and why did the detector go off!

    • Tommie July 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

      Sound like you’re getting the runaround. From what I’ve been able to fine, diesel exhaust has less carbon monoxide but it’s still there. His symptoms could be caused by other toxins resulting from burning diesel.

      It turns out my car wasn’t at fault. It was the gas logs in my house. I’d failed to open the damper when cold weather hit.

  9. Sandy Rogers March 11, 2018 at 5:59 pm #

    For those of us getting dizzy and headaches while driving, the problems are real. I’ve been reading that the cars these days are highly toxic from the materials used to make the plastic parts of the card. PVC is used to make the dash and everything in the plastic parts. The sun will make the fumes even worse. These parts are not regulated by the government according to some of these articles. Buyer beware. I’ve been to many doctors over the last year and not one of them could tell me what’s wrong. I figured out that I’m suffering from toxicity and it’s very difficult to get in my car and drive.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.