Raw Vegan Recipe: Creamy Tomato Soup

With winter in full swing in parts of the Northern Hemisphere and creeping ever closer in others, thoughts turn to a comforting mug of soup. But you’re a raw vegan, right? That doesn’t leave you out in the cold, though. Follow the pictures and the directions below and you can have some yummy raw vegan tomato soup, too.

First, I picked out four ripe tomatoes. These are rather small ones so if you are using a different size, adjust the number.

Ripe Tomatoes

It’s my personal preference to briefly scald the tomatoes and peel them. You can leave the peeling on if you want.

Peeled Tomatoes

Chunk them up and put them in the blender container:

Chunked Up Tomatoes

I always just use 1/4 cup really raw cashews but I got out the scale for people who think it’s important to weigh ingredients. Make sure the scale is calibrated before weighing.

Calibrate the Scale

For about a quart of chunked tomatoes, I use one ozzie (1/4 cup) cashews.

One Ozzie

Add the cashews to the tomatoes in the blender:

Add the Cashews

Use either sea salt

Sea Salt to Taste

or a good quality garlic salt blend (this is Simply Organic Garlic Salt) to taste.

Garlic Salt

Be careful when seasoning! You can add more later but you can’t take it out!

Here are the ingredients for the Raw Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup:

Tomato Soup Ingredients

It’s just

One quart (approx.) chunked tomatoes
1/4 cup (one ozzie) really raw cashews
Sea salt or garlic salt to taste or a blend of the two

Fairly easy and very basic. Now to the rest of the story…

I always use the lid for this step. I’ve been known to blend smoothies without the lid but for soup, you need the lid:

Blending the Soup

Blend the soup until smooth:

Blend Until Smooth

As someone who used to cook in the VitaMix, I can testify that you can bring mixtures to boiling if you blend it long enough. Be careful if you are a raw vegan! Warm is okay—hot isn’t. If you eat cooked food, heat it as hot as you like.

The resulting mix will be very foamy:

Foamy Tomato Soup

Turn the blender back on, on the lowest speed. Slowly increase it until the force starts pulling the mix down and popping the bubbles. The following pictures show the process:

Bubbles

Fewer Bubbles

Smooth Tomato Soup

Serve in soup mugs. This recipe makes one serving of two mugs of soup. I had the first one plain

Plain Creamy Tomato Soup

and the second mug with a sprinkle of garlic salt.

With Garlic Salt

Sit in front of the fire and enjoy!

17 Responses to Raw Vegan Recipe: Creamy Tomato Soup

1. Dwain November 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm #

Thanx, Tommy. It looks really good! I’ve been looking for something like this.

I’ve been making an avocado/tomato blend, which I like:
    one part avo, two parts tomato, no salt.

2. Tommie November 10, 2008 at 6:37 am #

That sounds rich, Dwain! BTW, I meant to say the salt and seasoning in this are both optional.

3. Alisa November 11, 2008 at 6:04 pm #

You got me with the Campbell’s mug, warm memories came flooding back. It looks just like the “original,” but I am guessing your version tastes ten times better!

4. Capture November 11, 2008 at 10:36 pm #

*giggles* I loved your raw story book tale! I make raw tomato soup often but haven’t tried it with cashews! It’s also good with avocado or sun dried tomatoes and cayenne pepper! the pepper makes it spicy and will “feel” warm! Yum!

5. Tommie November 12, 2008 at 8:14 am #

I do like my Campbell’s soup mug, Alisa.

I’ve tried the soup with avocado, too, and I prefer the cashews. I’m going to add some sun dried tomatoes next time I make it. Haven’t gotten brave enough to use cayenne in it!

6. Prudence October 26, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

I tried this — yum! I added a mango and a bit of fresh basil and rosemary, too.

7. Laura-Jane the Rawtarian May 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Wow, this looks great! Can’t wait to try it

8. Micaela July 19, 2011 at 11:08 am #

I picked some tomatos in the garden, washed them off, put them in the Vitamix, added some brazil nuts and almonds (out of cashews), a few basil leafs, a date, pinch of salt, cayenne, awesome.

9. Catherine October 8, 2011 at 8:53 am #

Delicious, I made this soup last month and it was amazing. Serving in its raw state and heating it – both were amazing. I wondered if using tomatoes that have been previously frozen will affect the outcome. I am curious if anyone has tried this, please let me know your experience. I am looking forward to sharing this receipe with my family tomorrow where I will be serving it as an appetizer in 2 oz dixie cups.

• Tommie October 8, 2011 at 9:18 am #

Thanks, Catherine!

I wouldn’t think that frozen tomatoes would alter the taste. Maybe the nutrition? Try it and report back!

10. Catherine October 10, 2011 at 10:08 am #

Reporting back using frozen tomatoes, it worked!. Although, I felt the natural sweetness of tomatoes in their fresh state seemed slighty altered toward a bitter taste. Adding a few drops of raw agave to the desired sweetness. I will make this again using up my organic frozen tomatoes, and next time will utilize other vegetables as mentioned above for additional sweetness or spicyness depending on what I crave for. My guests were most impresed with the soup and the thick creamy texture, most were surprized that the secret ingredient was raw cashews.

• Tommie October 10, 2011 at 10:14 am #

Great, Catherine! I’m glad it was a hit! Another thing that you could do to sweeten it is add a couple of dates.

11. terrie December 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

Delicious! I used a little sun-dried tomatoes and two stalks of celery and a clove of garlic and no salt. Came out awesome.

• Tommie December 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Great, Terrie! Always good to know the variations on the recipe!!

12. terrie December 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Oh yeah i almost forgot, i didnt have cashews handy so i used pine nuts. Worked perfectly.

13. Julie January 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Thanks for publishing this recipe to the web, I thought it was lovely. Unfortunately just because it wasn’t EXACTly like Hienz out of a tin. The kids didn’t eat theirs. I am trying to perfect a tomato soup that tastes like heinz and will keep trying and next time don’t make as much!! Just in case.
    I was tempted to put a banana in this, because Heinz put sugar in. I did add some medjooled dates which I think helped. There is some subtle herbs and spices needed too. I also sneeked some Chlorella powder in, as I do with the tinned.
    When I make soup for the kids I’m probably best steering clear of tomato actually, then they usually like it, because they don’t know what any other tinned soup is like!!
    It really is “Awesome to be Rawsome” Best Wishes.

• Tommie January 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Thanks, Julie. Sorry about your kids’ reaction. My mother made homemade tomato soup when I was kneehigh to a grasshopper so it wasn’t terribly often we had the variety that came from a can. My tastebuds adapted to whatever was on the table, as a general rule. There weren’t many foods I didn’t like/wouldn’t eat which became a problem in later years.