Please humor me.

I can’t help it. I love summer and I love good summertime homegrown tomatoes and NOW I HAVE MY OWN! They are slowly ripening. I could get out there and cheer them on but I don’t think it would help any.

Remember these pictures? I’m probably the only person on this mountain that takes glamor shots of a tomato.

First Tomato

Blossom End

Now here it is (and it’s joined by the other ripe tomato) after I’ve cut it. Oh! the juicy goodness! The only bad thing about what’s on this plate is there isn’t enough for a whole meal.

Ready to Eat!

The flavor was spectacular. They are the best tomatoes I have had all summer and I’m not saying that simply because God and I grew them. It’s the truth. I forgot to tell about the German Pinks I bought at a roadside stand yesterday but there is no comparison. I might mention that German Pinks are one of my favorite varieties. These are Early Girls. Maybe it’s the worm tea that gives them the good flavor. I don’t know. Whatever it is, I hope I can duplicate it next summer.

I’ll save the seed from one of my purchased German Pink tomatoes and see if I can grow them next season. I’ve used this method and it works. My efforts to grow plants from the seeds didn’t do well but that should change with using Square Foot.

I had to share my excitement and now I’ll go do something else.

10 Responses to Please humor me.

1. Fruitloop August 10, 2008 at 11:34 am #

Your ‘maters are might impressive. You must get lots of sun, as you have noted. Our lot doesn’t get enough sun for nummy maters like yours.

XO
    Floop

2. Tommie August 10, 2008 at 12:57 pm #

The boxes are between my neighbor’s garage and my house. They only get midday sun. I plan to have a couple more up in the yard close to the clothesline where the sun hits most of the day.

3. Alison August 11, 2008 at 1:21 pm #

haha, if I had a garden I’d probably take pics too! nothing like the feeling of growing your own food! when I was a kid my parents had a garden and I rescued some tomato plants from a neighbor’s fancy garden-he didn’t want the plants and told me I couldn’t grow them. Well, grow them I did and wow, what a feeling to have known you helped to create it! beautiful tomatoes you have there!

4. Tommie August 11, 2008 at 6:28 pm #

PLANT THAT GARDEN AND TAKE THOSE PICTURES! And weren’t you a proud puppy when you showed your neighbor?? Yea for you! 😀

5. Tom Brownsword August 12, 2008 at 2:28 am #

Please humor me? Tommie, I wouldn’t stop by if your blog was boringly normal!

And I do stop by a lot for some reason…!

Keep up the good work,
    Tom

6. Tommie August 12, 2008 at 6:00 am #

Boring, maybe. Normal? I don’t think so. I’ve been accused of a lot of things but normal has never been one of them. Stop by again sometime!

7. Fruitloop August 13, 2008 at 3:36 am #

heehee, normal? What’s that, right!?

XO
    Floop

8. Tommie August 13, 2008 at 6:30 am #

I dunno.

9. Oomah September 16, 2008 at 4:08 am #

Love homegrown tomatoes Tommie! I remember back in the day when I would pick them out of our garden and just eat them. A lil dirt never hurt. I haven’t died yet! I read your method on how to save seeds on my own, not too difficult. No I’m not 100% raw but given the choice between a birthday cake and a bunch of fresh veggies, just ask my family its the veggies that win. I don’t do sweets. I had to smile because whenever I go to SLC to visit my sister I raid her garden. We live in TX but rent, so I don’t know if it’s right to plant a garden. This patio garden is a great alternative. I am not always pleased with the grocery produce so when the farmers market is up and running I am there. It’s so much fun to take my lil grandbabies and let them pick out their favorites. (I am their Oomah) They love veggies too, they are 3 and 1. Just as I did my own 4 kids I started them out with frozen vegatables for treats from the moment they could chew on their own. My tiny one has only 8 teeth and she comes and points to the freezer and says more. Today she ate a bunch of barely cooked asparagus. I loved it. Her mom said gross mom what are you doing to my kid. I found your site by pure happenstance. I wasn’t even looking for anything remotely related to food. It was the flea article you wrote that grabbed me and I started bouncing around and found some things I could enjoy. Although I haven’t checked out your entire site or read all the articles you did make me smile with what I did read so thanks for that. Take Care J

10. Tommie September 16, 2008 at 5:58 am #

Thank you so much for your comments! And the fleas are still blessing me. Without them, you wouldn’t have found me! Corrie ten Boom’s sister Betsy thanked God for the fleas and I’m getting close to being able to, too. I found out another “surefire cure” for fleas and that’s baby oil mixed equal parts with water and sprayed on the carpet and furniture. Haven’t tried it yet and hope I don’t have to. I still have to get rid of a lot of papers, etc., and the fleas are still coming up from under the house (at least that is my theory). My neighbor is going to set off some bombs under there tomorrow morning.

It’s wonderful you give your grandkids such nutritious treats! I think we undersell their taste buds. They are much more sophisticated than we believe. Kids love raw fruits and veggies, too.

You’d have to carve out days to check out my entire site. Thanks for being here! And eat a tomato for me!