Raw Vegan Recipe: Coconut Ice Cream

Grasseater Woman posted a recipe for coconut ice cream in Sumptuous Feasts. I had all the ingredients so I was the guinea pig for the forum. I didn’t go exactly by the recipe so I’m taking the liberty of calling this one my own.

Note: I’m cheating and taking an already existing page and putting in the form of a post so it will come under the Raw Vegan Recipes (Illustrated) category. Being both places should make it easier for interested people to find.

Coconut Ice Cream

Kill a young coconut
Drain the water and scoop out the flesh. (When I did this, I ended up with 2 1/2 cups combined.)
Put the water and meat into your blender and blend until smooth.
Add dark agave nectar to taste (I probably used about two tsp) and blend again.
Add vanilla bean or vanilla extract (I used 1/4 tsp) and a pinch of sea salt.
Blend just long enough to mix.

Then I poured it into my La Glaciere:

Liquid Coconut

Here it is at different stages of “doneness”:

Beginning to Freeze

Getting There

Almost Done

Ready to Eat

And now!

Dig In!

Enjoy! That’s mint from my planter. It survived freezing, flooding, and drought. It’s tough. And the ice cream is delicious!

Note about the agave nectar—I found out the hard way that the dark is sweeter than the light so I was very cautious when I put it in the first time. I added it, tasted, and added a little more.

9 Responses to Raw Vegan Recipe: Coconut Ice Cream

1. alison August 1, 2008 at 12:29 am #

YUM!!!

2. Tommie August 1, 2008 at 7:00 am #

YUM!!! is right! I have a lot of coconut meat in the freezer that I want to try with purified water. If it comes out well, I’ll let you (and everyone else) know.

3. fruitloop August 2, 2008 at 2:48 pm #

Umm, sounds yummy. Generally I don’t care for coconut ice-cream. CHef Adam at Nature’s Pantry made it for THanksgiving and I didn’t like it. Maybe your recipe is better. I’ll have to try!

XO
    Floop

4. Tommie August 2, 2008 at 7:43 pm #

This is definitely good, believe me. It’s more like a sorbet or ice milk (or snow cream) than actual ice cream.

5. The Health Billionaire January 6, 2010 at 5:57 am #

It’s recipes like this that made me kick my lifetime Ben and Jerry’s Addiction.

• Tommie January 6, 2010 at 6:17 am #

Congratulations!

6. kathy April 6, 2010 at 11:38 am #

Love the idea of the recipe….unfortunately did you know agave nectar (even raw) is just as bad for you as high fructose corn syrup? (lookup drmercola.com) any way, how about trying stevia or date sugar to taste. (maybe even, dare I say, honey?)

• Tommie April 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

I have heard that but I’d ask you to check the research done on Sweet Savvy. I use the Wholesome brand of dark raw organic agave nectar.

7. Scotsman February 10, 2012 at 4:02 am #

Hello there, I discovered your web site by means of Google even as searching for a related subject, your site got here up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked to my favourites|added to my bookmarks.