Good morning and Happy 4th of July!

I’m up early in spite of getting to bed (or to couch) after 1 o’clock in the ayem. My son is out walking with his friend and the others are still asleep. I’ve had my Quiet Time and figured I’d do my catch-up now.

Let’s see. It’s déjà vu all over again. I’m going back to yesterday now. I got up and did a lot of my exercises (that reminds me, this is vision therapy day and I brought my kit with me). I had failed to get the timer so I did some regular pushups instead.

100% Raw Food

28 ozzies grapefruit juice
30 ozzies banana/romaine smoothie

24 ozzies banana/romaine/red leaf/green leaf smoothie
3 tomatoes with Tajin

Several baby bananas (I lost count)
1 regular banana
Unknown quantity of grapes

Much later
1 nectarine

I got to work at the appointed time and did the necessaries. I talked to my boss and told her it was my granddaughter’s 12th birthday and I would like to leave immediately if not sooner. She laughed so I amended it to noon. I wanted to stay and get my produce from My Farmer, anyway. She said it would be fine.

Back in the office, I worked until 12 (I hadn’t taken any lunch with me since I was fairly certain my boss would let me go early). I was straining my eyes, looking to see My Farmer come in the door. It got on toward 12:15. I called her cell phone and got voice mail. I left a message and went back to anticipating. At 12:30, I called again and that time she answered. I hadn’t let her know I was planning on leaving early so she was going to combine trips (gas prices being what they are, I didn’t blame her) and come by later. She agreed to keep my produce for me until tomorrow and I lit out.

I had several stops to make (most notably the bank for some money) and I went home. I ate my lunch, loaded the car, and left after talking to my daughter-in-law. Partway here, I realized I’d left my toothbrush and tomatoes so I stopped at Wally World and bought the former plus a camp chair and some nectarines. Nectarines are one of my granddaughter’s favorite fruits. There’s a fruit stand at one of the intersections close to my son’s place that usually has good tomatoes. I got two cups of them and he threw in an extra because one of them had a “place” on it. He started telling me about Colorado potatoes and how he’ll have some later. I told him I’d let my son know. I didn’t tell him I don’t indulge.

It was on to the house. Everyone was gone (my son had to work) to get ready for the evening. The Pathfinder club was doing a fundraiser with shaved ice. True to her word, my DIL had left the front door unlocked. As I said in my previous post, I got everything where it needed to be, then got on their computer to write. Not being used to the mouse, I managed to go back or forward or something and Internet Explorer doesn’t “cache” things the way Opera does, so I had to do it over.

My DIL had called and told me my other DIL and granddaughter were there. I grabbed some of the baby bananas and grapes to take with me. The bananas were for my five-year-old. They are so cute and so is she.

Traffic was heavy as Atlanta at rush hour and cars were parked everywhere. I got one of the few last spots in a parking lot a little distance away from the fireworks site where the Pathfinders were set up. When I opened the car door, I saw a couple of my dear friends with three of my local church young people in tow. I hailed them and walked to the site with them. We visited on the way and I found out the young people’s grandfather is in the hospital. He and his wife have been interested in eating raw food but I haven’t been in touch with them lately to find out how they were doing. I told them to pass along my greetings and that I’d be praying for them.

The group my friends were with and my granddaughter’s group were almost next door to each other. I went down, hugged, and got set up. I gave the baby bananas to my five-year-old and she and my son helped me eat the grapes.

It wasn’t long until the smell of popcorn tempted the little one. She and her mother went to get a bag and she munched on that for awhile. Then, it was shaved ice. My DIL had opted for orange/watermelon and they shared it. It was no time at all until the small person was showing signs of sugar hype and food color rush. Her wiggling, bumping, and general interrupting went on for a long time with her mother telling her to stop. She couldn’t. After probably 20 minutes of that, I spelled “B-a-n-a-n-a-s are c-a-l-m-i-n-g.” Immediately, my DIL said, “Eat a banana!” My 5yrold protested that she wasn’t hungry. She was again told, “Eat a banana!” while the banana was being peeled. She dutifully took a bite, then another. Her mother peeled the rest of it for her (it was maybe three inches long, at most) and she ate the rest. Instantly, all the signs of being out of control were gone (it had never gotten really bad but I could tell she really couldn’t help herself) and she sat quietly. The fireworks started not long after and she was able to enjoy it. I leaned over and said, “OOH! AAH!” and she would do that every now and then. When the fireworks were probably 2/3 over, she asked, “Why are they still doing it?” It was a long time for someone her age.

I was looking at my 12-year-old and she has curves I didn’t have at 16. She is a most beautiful young woman. Makes me feel old to have a grandchild who is growing up so quickly. She and one of her best friends were sitting on a blanket together and each had “glow in the dark” bracelets.

After the display was over and the music died down (there was an almost full-length concert of patriotic music by the local symphony orchestra) (a Star Wars suite was played during the fireworks) we stood around and talked for a long time. No use trying to go anywhere. Traffic was at a standstill. Finally, we went to the vehicle and sat awhile longer. When we did get moving, first we went one way, then turned around and went the other. It was a LONG TIME between the end of the fireworks and when I got back to my car.

After a side-trip to get my son’s car, we came back to the house.

I was having problems with Opera crashing since my computer had updated to the point I had to download service pack 2. I’d tried repairing it with no success. My son told me to uninstall and reinstall it and, so far, so good! He’s so smart!

The others were pretty hungry since they’d had little to eat. They had veggie hotdogs and I had a nectarine. They ate while they watched MythBusters. My son was thrilled with the 16 episodes of that and two of Dirty Jobs that I’d brought. We could have a marathon! He has to make the choice between DSL and the Dish and he chooses DSL. Would that I could have the same dilemma!

When they got ready to go to bed, I asked my son what about the cats? One time, I’d been kept awake because of their romping over me on the couch (BTW, the couch is extremely comfortable). He reluctantly said he’d put them up in the utility room. After much chasing with no success, I said, “Let them go. I’ll be okay.” He said, “No. I don’t want to read on your blog that the cats kept you from sleeping.” Does he read my blog?? I didn’t think so but maybe he does. The cats are Sophie, a female, and Khatoul, a male. Sophie has a wild streak and wants any attention on her terms. Khatoul is more laid back. After many many times around the living room, behind the couch, through the kitchen and the dining room, my granddaughter was able to coax Sophie into letting her pick her up. She put her in the utility room and then it was Khatoul’s turn. My son picked him up and took him to the door where he was able to make his escape. A couple more tries and he was incarcerated. They meowed a few times and settled down. We all made our ways to our beds.

Once I quit coughing, I was able to sleep and sleep well. I woke early and heard my son’s alarm go off not long after. He meets his exercise buddy around 6 am and they do four miles three times a week. I jokingly asked him if he wanted me to come with him. He told me sure but I decided I would stay here.

My DIL just resurrected and it’s 9:25. My granddaughter is still asleep. I had thought I would try to get back to the Land of Nod, myself, but I think I’m up for the day.

So far, I fixed myself and my son each 24 ozzies grapefruit juice and he pronounced it good. I should see about eating something now. I may have a salad later on so a green smoothie is out of the question. I may just have some banana “milk”. We’ll see. In the meantime, I don’t want to hear of anyone ending up in the emergency room or worse because of the 4th celebrations!

My granddaughter just got up. It’s barely after 10. We’ve been discussing my DIL’s new job as church secretary. She’s supposed to put in 28 hours a week, I think, has six paid holidays and two weeks’ paid vacation. The bulletin is huge and involved. I’m of the opinion she will earn every penny of her wages.

Later, dudes and dudettes!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.