Once again, I was kidding myself.

I slept in until about 7:45 and felt like I had all the time in the world. I was going to have a good breakfast on Sabbath morning for a change. HA! That was a joke.

My sister called about an hour later and, of course I hadn’t eaten. I have to take my thyroid med on an empty stomach and not eat for an hour so there hadn’t been enough time elapsed. I listened to the Sabbath School lesson discussion from Pine Knoll while I busied myself getting ready and making my salad. As it was, I fooled around and ran out of time.


24 ozzies grapefruit juice

Large salad of romaine, red curly leaf, green curly leaf (all organic lettuces), cucumber, red onion (organic), grape tomatoes, basil & parsley (both mine), dressed with lime juice, Meyer lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and agave nectar

3 quarts watermelon (not wonderful but better than yesterday)
3.5 cups “chili”
Large salad of iceberg, cucumber, red onion, tomato, dressed with cashew dressing

When I was ready to walk out the door to go to the reunion, I checked my computer and there was a message on CallWave from my sister saying she would get to the meeting place earlier than she had originally planned. I had been in the mode needed to get there later on so there was nothing I could do at that point.

I found the place with no problem, though I had never been that far into the local college campus before. It’s on a hill and the road goes around and around. The building is very nice and quite unusual. The large room is circular with windows all around.

I “registered” and explained to the organizers that I wouldn’t be eating lunch, I’d brought my own, and was just visiting. FYI, I went to the high school the first semester of my freshman year and came down with scarlet fever the last day of Christmas vacation. I was basically an invalid for several months. My joints ached until I couldn’t bear even the weight of a sheet over me. My mother was a widow and, along with a small pension from the VA, was supporting us by teaching a private school for a very small group of children. She plugged in a little electric heater in the bedroom so I would be warm enough. I know it sent the electric bill into the stratosphere but she never let me be cold. I entertained myself by reading and listening to the radio. We didn’t have TV. The only thing I could tolerate going down my throat was her home-canned tomato juice, warmed, with lemon juice. I have no idea how many quarts of that I drank. It seems that lasted for weeks but it surely didn’t. The doctor who delivered me when I was born was the one who would come to see me. There was no way I could have gotten out of the house to go to the office. My brother-in-law predicted I would die but I showed him! Another brother-in-law (a doctor) couldn’t believe I didn’t have damage to my heart from the light case of rheumatic fever I had. For years, every time I’d get close enough, he’d grab me and his stethoscope and listen to my heart. Enough about me.

I’d pictured the reunion as a small group of people in a little room somewhere but it was quite a large crowd and it took some minutes and help from some people I knew to locate my sister. There were lots of people I knew and it was nice to see them and be seen. I stayed true, sort of, to my resolve not to embarrass my sister by my weird ways. I only gave out two of my cards the whole day. She did bring up the Wally World incident, herself, and everyone had a good laugh.

When we were all to sit down, there weren’t enough places at the table but a nice man got up and let me have his place. I was sitting by a very attractive woman who was younger than me. I thought she looked familiar. She was with her uncle who was from the class of 1943 (my sister is 1944, the year I was born). He mentioned that she has a restaurant. She said she does photography, too, and it dawned on me who she was. I’d vowed not to embarrass my sister so I said really softly, “I’m the Raw Foodist.” She looked at me and said, “I was going to ask you if you knew her because of your salad!” When my boss had the Christmas party for the department heads from the hospital, we went to her restaurant one day when it was closed to the public. I’d called ahead and made sure they knew I only ate raw and she had beautiful fruit and veggies for me–enough for me to eat, share, and still fill a to go plate. She said, “You know, you gave me your card but it had disappeared from the counter when I went back to get it.” I asked her if she wanted another one and she said yes. I gladly gave it to her. She said she is eating more raw food and she feels better. She is eating lots of fresh fruit. It’s a small world.

My former boss from my hairdresser days was there along with the woman who worked the station next to me. It was like Old Home Week.

We enjoyed all the goings on and were among the last to leave. I’d had a chance to visit with a couple I’ve known for many years. They are interested in staying healthy so I took a chance and gave them my card. He assured me he would look me up online.

When we left, I should have let my sister go ahead. I had never gone out the way I was headed and turned the wrong way. I thought it was farther back to town than I’d thought. I realized what I’d done when I came to the turnoff for the airport. We turned around and went back the way we came.

The cemetery wasn’t as nice as the last time I was there. The little bit of rain has encouraged the weeds. I said, “It’s all growed up.” My sister said that was exactly what she was thinking in those very words. We inspected the grave. It was like I’d left it. She approved of the arrangement. We talked for quite awhile (until she got too hot) (I was comfortable but raw foodists’ normal temp is a little lower than someone who eats cooked) and then went our separate ways.

My salad had kept me satisfied until I got home. It was big enough that it took from the salad course through dessert for me to eat it. I changed my clothes and that’s when I ate again. It was 4 o’clock when I came in the door.

I’ve been on the forum some. It’s amazing the impact it is having on people. When I set it up, I had no idea that it would have such an influence. I’m humbled by the experience.

It’s been a nice Sabbath and a change from my usual routine. I don’t miss church often. It was a fellowship, though, to sing “Blest Be the Tie that Binds” with my sister and friends.

And now, dear people, I’m going to hang this up and bid one and all a fond good night.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.