44 weeks!

I didn’t think I was ever going to get to sleep last night. I don’t know why other than I was probably wired from hurrying for so long that I couldn’t wind down easily. Then I didn’t have an alarm clock and I needed to get up and get ready to go to the meeting place for the co-op–I thought.

I woke just before 6:30 and got up to stay. I didn’t attempt to exercise since I don’t do that well when I’m away from home. Breakfast was OJ. I didn’t know what I’d find when I got to the co-op rendezvous point AND I thought that since the truck was going to be there between 9:30 and 10 that I would eat when I got back to the house.

My son got up and started working on securing his wireless network so I went on to find the co-op. It turned out to be super easy. I passed it and turned around and went back. My contact had given the name of the building but it wasn’t posted anywhere on the grounds that I could see. I was in the right spot, though.

When I went inside, I was asked to sign in. The building is a recreation center and everything was being set up in a large room that appeared to be an auditorium. There were row upon row of tables and one of the women was putting lists at intervals on them. There was another table with lists for people who were only getting produce. After I stood around feeling useless for a few minutes, I approached someone and asked what I could do to help. I was put to checking cases of prepared foods to make sure that it was all what it was supposed to be. I found out why that was necessary when I found a case of OJ was stickered as some kind of butter spread.

A very petite pretty lady came up to me and asked my name. When I told her, she said my last name and I said yes. She introduced herself and it was my contact that I had been e-mailing for months. It was so nice to finally meet her. She said that it would take a couple of hours to set up so I decided that I would go in search of something to eat. She suggested that it would be good for me to get back and help with the produce because helpers don’t have to pay the 15% upcharge. I told her that I’d get back as soon as I could.

I went to a supermarket and the bananas were day-glo green. They did have Campari tomatoes on sale–buy one carton, get one free. That’s my kind of deal so I got a couple. I called my son and let him know what was going on. I think he was probably at work. I went on to the Fresh Market and found some bananas that were almost ripe and got three. I sat in the parking lot and ate them.

When I got back, there was still plenty to do so I pitched in and did what I could. I have a feeling that I slowed people down more than I helped, though. It was much later when I was able to check out, get loaded, and leave.

Next stop was the store on the university campus. They had huge watermelons (for this time of year) so I got five–two for one of my co-workers, two for me, and one for my neighbors. I got several other things, too. I called one of the people I had picked up organic for and made arrangements to meet her.

I went back to my son’s place and found no one at home. They’d left the door unlocked for me so I went in, ate a pear, cleared all my stuff out and got down the road. I called and left my son voice mail and let him know that I was leaving some food for them on purpose.

Then it was on up and over the mountain to the meeting place so I could get rid of around 100 pounds of potatoes in my trunk plus assorted other smaller items. When I got where I was supposed to be, there was no one around. I moved the car into the shade and rolled the windows down and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, I went on up to the house and no one was there, either. I finally unloaded everything and put it on the back steps. When I was leaving, I saw the person who usually picks up the organic orders and told her where her stuff was. While we were talking, her sister drove up and said that their other sister (the one I was supposed to meet) had called her and said she was delayed and would she let me know. All’s well that ends well, so I’m told.

My car seemed much lighter without said potatoes. I went on to town and found the person who had asked me to get the watermelons. She carried both of them in at the same time, one on each arm.

I made a couple more stops for food and came on home.

My food for the day, so far, was OJ, three bananas, and a pear. Not much when I have usually had two full meals and a snack by that time. I unloaded the car and made myself a huge green smoothie of three medium bananas, two pears, and a large amount of spinach. I took a break and sat down and conSUMED it. Later on, I had some tomatoes and Tajin, then a large salad of romaine, broccoli sprouts, green onion, cucumber, and avocado dressed with lime juice, agave nectar, onion and garlic powder, sea salt and EVOO. I’m good for the day.

While I ate my salad, I caught up on “The Next Food Network Star” and found out that Guy won. I’d kind of hoped that Reggie would but Guy probably has what it takes to hold up under all the pressure. It will be interesting to see what he does in June.

And now it’s Sabbath and I can take a break from all the running around and doing. Church is going to be 65 miles away for me. I burned up half a tank of gas doing what I did yesterday and today so I’m going to stay home. But it’s still a Happy Sabbath!

Good night!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.