Whee! 17 weeks!

Since I got to bed so late last night I would have liked to have slept in but that couldn’t be the case.

I made it out of bed at about 5:30 and got started. It was easier to do my vision therapy this morning because I went straight into the bathroom rather than trying to see the charts, etc., by the candlelight (almost) in the bedroom. I put a chair between the commode and the tub and propped the eye chart against the mirror in the dressing room. The light in there was much better than anywhere else. I’m sure it’s a cost-saving measure but old people like me need plenty of light.

I’d started packing last night so I had a head start. I did the rest of my morning things–squats, wall pushups, devotions, and then BREAKFAST!

First thing, I had some pineapple. Since I was going to have to pack the blender, I went ahead and made a banana/peach smoothie. I also had a kiwi.

I finished packing and put everything over by the door and left for the conference center. Everyone was finishing with breakfast. I went into the banquet room and sat down with the Group for a few minutes. The smells didn’t make me sick but they didn’t smell good, either. On the way out, one of the other attendees overtook me and wanted to know if they’d had anything for me to eat. I said no, but I’d eaten in the room because the Prez had told me that there wouldn’t be anything I’d be interested in. She asked me some more about my diet and vowed she couldn’t do it. That was my reaction when I first heard about it, too.

There were some good presentations and then it was time for “finger foods”–cookies, brownies, chips, and salsa. I had four huge medjool dates. One of the group apologized for eating that “yummy” food in front of me but I told her it was okay, that it didn’t bother me. I don’t think people realize that I’m not tempted. I’d gone out to the bathroom and the Prez started asking me questions–why, how long, etc. I told her that I’d been a vegetarian all my life and that this was a natural progression. That I thought my daughter was insane when she mentioned it to me over a year ago, and on and on. She told me that she has been on LA Weight Loss and has been losing but it all went down the tubes when she came to the conference. Difference is, I made sure that I stayed on my program.

There was one more presentation and the woman had the most soothing voice of any of the speakers. I had to force myself to keep my eyes open. After awhile, it was all over and the gift exchange began. I got a snowman with a little snowman and another tiny one that must pop up out of the big one’s hat. It was cute. It needs batteries but I’ll wait until I’m ready to use it to put them in.

We all said our goodbyes and I got in the car. I drove around to the back of the center, thinking I might eat at one of the picnic tables but they didn’t look as inviting with shelters over them (I don’t think they were there yesterday). I set out to look for the park where two of my sisters, their husbands, and my mother, and I had eaten several years ago. I found it with few problems and may have sat at the same table to have my huge salad. It was Boston, romaine, green onions, cucumber, avocado, and tomato, with lime juice and sea salt. I had a little baggie of celery, too. I took off my shirt and sat in the sun while I ate. Gotcha! I had another shirt on underneath.

I hadn’t gotten anything for the girls at work so I stopped at another outlet mall on the way out of town and picked up some things. I went into Fresh Produce (a brand of clothing) and got a denim jacket for a little bit of nothing. Ben & Jerry’s is located in that very mall and I was close to it a couple of times. I sat and looked at the billboard for a long time while I was waiting for the light. I couldn’t bring myself to go in and taste Wavy Gravy. I’d campaigned for them to bring that flavor back but I just couldn’t do it. I’m not taking chances with the way I feel.

It was getting on up in the afternoon and I had a long way to go yet so I hit the road. I drove straight through with no more stops until I got to “my” Wal*Mart. It used to be tradition for me to stop at a Kroger a few miles from home but it’s closed now. Sad.

When I was checking out, the cashier said, “The family likes fruit and vegetables?” I told her that’s all I eat, plus a few nuts and seeds. She wanted to know why and I told her because they are good for me. She had to agree with that.

I went by to check on Mother’s grave and I told her about my jacket from Totes. Now, I don’t by any means think that she hears me but I think about things that I’ll tell her and then it hits me that she’s dead. It helps to verbalize what I wish she could know. It’s mostly just little things.

The veggie man wasn’t at the stand but I helped myself to tomatoes and left the money in the box.

It was just about 6 p.m. when I walked in the door. I took a chance and pulled down into the yard to unload. I got the deed done and then peeled and ate a large bowl full of tomatoes.

I’d never gotten back with The Date People about the varieties of dates so I called and found out that the ones I especially like are the wet pack Barhi. The others are honey dates and Black Abbada.

I had some of each of the three varieties and then blended up a banana smoothie.

I got my computer set up and checked my e-mail. Roger has put the telephone interview on his web-site. It can be accessed here.

My totals for today (if I have remembered everything) are 1495 calories, 12% fat, 8% protein.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.